Saturday, December 26, 2009

The hummus i bought from WinCo is in powder form. Does anyone how much water and olive oil to add?

Wow! I've never heard of powdered hummus.





Just in case you want to make your own... It's easy. It usually takes me about 5 minutes. Here is my recipe.





1 large can (about 25 oz) chickpeas. They are also called “garbanzo” beans


2 tblsp of tahini (it’s like peanut butter, except it’s made from sesame seeds. You don’t need to put this in, but I always do. I hear that peanut butter is a good substitute, but I haven’t tried it. )


1 jar of roasted red bell pepper strips. (you will only need about half of a 16 oz jar)


about 3 tblsp of olive oil


Salt and cayenne pepper to taste


About 2 tsp of minced garlic.


Juice of 1 lemon


1. Rinse the beans in water until all of the nasty viscous liquid runs down the drain.


2. Shake the excess water from the beans and add them to a food processor with the tahini and garlic


3. Add ½ tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper


4. Add about 4 oz of roasted red bell peppers (Shake off the excess liquid before you put them in the processor)


5. Let the processor run


6. If the beans don’t look red enough, add a more bell pepper


7. Add about 3 tblsp of olive oil.


8. Add the ½ the lemon juice


9. Taste for seasoning. You will probably want a little more salt and lemon, juice





This recipe makes enough to feed an army and last up to a week in the refrigerator. Feel free to cut the recipe in half.


I spread this hummus on toasted Nann bread, and topp it with capers, calamata olives, shallots and roasted red bell peppers. I serve it like pizza.


Source(s):


I have been making this for years


2 days agoThe hummus i bought from WinCo is in powder form. Does anyone how much water and olive oil to add?
Are there no instructions? It sounds to me as though you've just bought chickpea flour. I would just add warm water till you've got the right consistency, and then olive oil to taste.


TBH I wouldn't have bought this stuff in the first place. If you want to make it yourself you buy dried chickpeas and boil 'em then puree 'em then add oil and garlic and lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment