Friday, December 18, 2009

Can i use olive oil for my baby's dry scaly scalp?

he's 3 months old and very irritated with his scalp. he lost a lot of hairs too and has bald patches now..help





is there a special shampoo?Can i use olive oil for my baby's dry scaly scalp?
For very dry skin on my kids, I used Aquaphor. My son and daughter both had very dry scalp,hands and feet after birth. I got a sample from the hospital when I had my daughter and it worked miracles on her dry skin, so before I had my son I went and bought some. I would recommend it to anyone who has a new baby with dry skin.





If you would like to try it here is what the label says...


Aquaphor healing ointment from Eucerin.


advanced healing for dry,cracked,or irritated skin


soothes, protects and restores smooth, healthy skin.





As for the hair loss, that is very normal. My daughter lost all of the hair on top of her head. I have a pic of her with my dad when she was around 2 or 3 months old and they have the same hairline. My son just lost all of his hair, he is totally bald now. My niece and nephew were both born with a headfuls of hair and both ended up with mo hawks! Your baby will lose most of or all of his hair but it will grow back soon.


Good luck and congratulations on the new angel in your home!Can i use olive oil for my baby's dry scaly scalp?
I love Pepper's answer too. Thanks all for sharing. I did use olive oil and yes it was effective on my baby and i like it because it's natural and doesn't smell a lot unlike coconut oil. Report Abuse

Baby oil. Works great and is alot cheaper too!
Olive oil is the healthiest oil to use. But as usual its difficult to wash off. Other than that its the best thing to use for your sons condition.
Try mineral oil or petroleum jelly before shampooing w/ baby shampoo. If this is severe, you may need to use an antiseborrheic shampoo and/or ointment that contains sulfur salicylates (be sure to keep out of baby's eyes) after the oil treatment. Keep your baby's head cool and dry and don't put a hat on him. Also make sure and report this condition to your Pediatrician.
we use johnson baby products to be safety
yes you can, I asked my dermitologist for a natural way to get rid of cradle cap and that is what they suggested
Baby oil is the best thing to use. Don't worry about the bald patches. It's normal for this age, as they lose the newborn hair and get that nice soft aby hair. :) If his scalp has yellowish/brownish scaly stuff it's probably cradle cap and baby oil is perfect. After you let it soak into his head for a few minutes you can gently loosen the cradle cap with a baby comb. then wash thoroughly. It should go away soon.
theres alot of oils in stores that u can put on here baby hair thats made for hair!!!
here we use almond oil. but it's a bit hard to wash off then so I use Cradle Cap shampoo which works fine. the hairs falling off is normal. babies lose all the hair that they are born with and will grow new hair which will be there to stay!
i used olive oil for my kids when they were babies and developed dry scaly scalp. it worked good. after you take your baby a bath and dry his head, massage a little oil around his head. this will prevent his head from being too dry. eventually all his old hair which he was born with will fall and new hair will start coming out. you will start noticing little hairs growing in the bald spots and this hair is what will be on him as he gets older.





don't use any shampoo except baby shampoo. use johnson's or menen baby shampoo but nothing else. his old hair falling and dry scalp is the MOST normal thing to happen to babies at his age. his new hair will be much softer and nicer and more full than the one that is falling out. you will be surprised when he has a full head of hair by the time he is a year old! it will be beautiful not like the one that is falling right now!
I used baby oil for cradle cap and it worked great.
You can absolutely use Olive Oil.


The only drawback would be like using any other *oil*, it will be difficult to wash out.


I would check with your doctor if your baby seems so irritated. I have never heard of babies actually reacting like that, most don't realize the cradle cap is even there. Maybe your docotr can reccommend a dandruff type pf treatment.


Perhaps the issue goes beyond cradle cap, could it be an allergy to a hat/laundry soap?...
First i would call his peditrician. And if you use oil on his head then use Baby oil. It is made for babys anyway But i would really call his doctor he will know what is best for him and safe.
that鈥檚 normal the baby dandruff don鈥檛 bug the baby, and as for the bald spot its normal try to give her more tummy time they get bald spots form being on the back of there head to much in the car seat, swing, bouncer ect.. And they a suppose to lose hair its ok it will come back within the year don鈥檛 worry and don鈥檛 use another shampoo its ok calm down.
olive oil works great for dry scalp or cradle cap. IMO it works better then baby oil... Leave it on his head for about 5-10 mins, then wash it with a creamy baby wash like Aveeno, made for dry skin, and take a soft baby brush and scrub his head.





Dont wash his hair too often, that can attribute to dry scalp.. 1-2 times a week is plenty, especially in the winter months.
  • nba
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment